Saturday, September 11, 2010

Veterans and the Pentagon

I could not be in Washington DC and not commemorate the 9th anniversary of 9/11. Well, I could have but I would have felt terrible about it.

This morning, I, with about fifteen others from the program, went to the Reagan National Airport to greet WWII veterans coming in from Phoenix. We did this through the Honor Flight program, a volunteer organization that flies WWII vets into DC to visit the WWII memorial. The program was set in motion in response to the decreasing number of surviving WWII vets. It was a very rewarding experience, and definitely something I want to do again. I actually plan on doing it again next weekend. As the vets get off the plane, they are greeted by groups of people applauding and cheering, thanking them for their service. Many of them were very touched by the welcome they received and many thanked us for coming to support them. I wish I could bring the amount of happiness and joy I saw in their eyes to people every day. Despite all the conflicts we have been in since then and the various issues plaguing our world today, I think it’s great that we are still honoring those who fought for us over 65 years ago.


This afternoon, a few of us visited the Pentagon Memorial. Although I have been to DC many times in the past few years, I had not been to this memorial before today. Although it would have been an emotional experience to visit on any day, it was exceptionally so today. It is very strange to think that it was almost a decade ago that the attacks occurred. It was also strange to think that some of the kids visiting the memorial were not alive when it happened.

Today was an extremely beautiful experience, although very emotional. It really put things in perspective, which is something I think we all need sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment